[Talk-us] SOTM US Portland - Call for participation

Bill Ricker bill.n1vux at gmail.com
Sat Aug 4 04:04:12 BST 2012

On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 10:37 PM, Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org> wrote:

> That's pretty pedantic, when most people assume Oregon by default given
> that it's the largest city on the planet with that name.

Damn straight it's pedantic. And parochial. They're both proud traditions
here in old New England.

I accept that remembering that Portland might be ambiguous to some
ignorable percentage of the population that will
be disappointed and embarrassed at being fooled once again when it's of
course not our Portland that some wonderful event is coming to is just too
much to expect from the cool kids spinning off other events in hometown of
OSCON.

But I think it's fair to expect it of self-appointed geo-encyclopedists.

But I was a bit harsh to complain on it to Martijn, who being a recent
transplant may reasonably have assumed the big Portland USA was named for
Portland UK. Sorry Martijn. (Good luck with the Springfields as even the
Simpsons can't keep them straight.)

--
Bill
@n1vux bill.n1vux at gmail.com