[Talk-us] Another random road reclassification

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Wed Aug 15 16:25:01 BST 2012

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 8:13 AM, Clay Smalley <claysmalley at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 9:26 PM, Toby Murray <toby.murray at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I know there is some disagreement about road classification,
> > especially when it comes to trunk but I'm pretty sure most people
> > would agree that this is incorrect. Thoughts?
> >
> I've been told you should use highway=trunk, expressway=yes for this.
> Not sure of the validity or widespread use of the tag.

The trunk part, yes.  The expressway part, I don't see anything outright
wrong with it, but don't see a whole lot of value, either, as the term is
loaded.  Oklahoma, for example, calls both freeways and expressways as
"expressway" (such as the War Veteran's Expressway south of Tulsa or the
MLK Expressway in Tulsa), New Jersey and Delaware seem to only call toll
roads expressways (even though they're toll motorways).

Likewise, undivided freeways and divided expressways are obviously
differentiated by the number of roadways and whether or not there's
intersections with something other than a link.