[Talk-us] MA county boundaries

Metcalf, Calvin (DOT) calvin.metcalf at state.ma.us
Mon Aug 20 15:59:10 BST 2012

I've been slowly editing the county boundaries in MA and today noticed somebody else (a user named fiveisalive) is also editing them, so I sent him the following message and suggest we coordinate our efforts here.

Hey I see you've been editing the county boundaries for MA as have I and we seem to be working against each other.  I was merging the county boundaries with the state boundaries (same way, different relations) as a step one before as a step two fixing the state boundary, while you seem to be fixing the county boundaries while leaving the state boundaries alone.  The two issues I can think of with your method are

1. I'm not so sure how accurate the off shore county boarders are.  Both as compared to their offshore town boundaries (which they updated 1 year ago vs 5 years ago for the counties) and as compared to OSMs definition of the boundaries.
2. The state offshore boundaries are one and the same as the offshore county boundaries as all parts of the Massachusetts are within counties and all parts of counties are within cities or towns (note other state are not like this).

Feel free to message me back, or email me via the us-talk or import list

Calvin  Metcalf
Office of Transportation Planning
MassDOT