[Talk-us] Kern County progress

Werner Poppele poppele at hm.edu
Tue Aug 21 12:45:31 BST 2012

Toby Murray wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 4:44 PM, Nathan Mixter<srmixter at hotmail.com>  wrote:
>> I have begun cleaning up the area around Kern County, California. It is
>> starting to not only look better but be less cluttered.
>> I originally imported landuse data from both Kern County and the City of
>> Bakersfield. Some areas from these two agencies overlapped around
>> Bakersfield, and I have been going through and trying to remove these. The
>> city data were quite good and included landuse areas, buildings, parks and
>> even individual trees within the city. The county data tended to be generic
>> in several places. It also was slightly misaligned in spots particularly in
>> the rural areas, possibly due to the projection it was created with by the
>> county.
>> I have been going through and systematically deleting the redundant areas
>> and breaking down the over used landuse=farm and landuse=residential tags
>> into more specific areas. And in the process, I have been covering some of
>> the ugly white space that has remained empty.
>> A lot of the areas are now natural=heath. There is not really any good way
>> to differentiate between meadow and heath areas. Still seems like they can
>> be used interchangeably sometimes. I've been trying to use meadow for an
>> area that can be used for grazing. I just started using the heath tag for
>> open areas generally on areas east of Highway 5. It's not a perfect option
>> but at least it kind of matches the work others have done around Las Vegas
>> and in the desert.
>> I've been trying to integrate the existing Kern County data with the FMMP
>> farm data, which I have imported for other counties around the state as
>> well.
>>
>> As part of the cleanup, I am adding some new buildings in Bakersfield from
>> city data. I am only adding new building that have been added since the
>> original import and verifying that they don't exist to avoid dups. Probably
>> less than 1,000 total new buildings. Originally, I included bak:fac_type1,
>> bak:fac_type2 and bak:fac_type3 tags on some buildings to correspond to tags
>> in the data. These are not needed and can be removed en mass by a script in
>> the future. I am leaving those tags out and incorporating them into the
>> building= tag (ie building=residential, building=commercial) for new
>> buildings.
>> I also created a long overdue Kern County page on the wiki to keep track of
>> the changes (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Kern_County,_California).
>>

>> Thanks to everyone who has contacted me to help out with the cleanup and
>> offered advise. If anyone is interested in helping or has any suggestions,
>> feel free to jump in or let me know.
>

> Thank you for putting effort into cleaning this data up.
>
> Also, I'm not sure if you noticed or not but as I was fixing some
> interstates in the area I noticed a bunch of "<Null>" values in tags
> on the Bakersfield buildings. They were in the bak:fac_type,
> [...]
Dear Toby,

during the last months I fixed a lot of stuff in the Bakersfield area.
In the near future, I will go and clean all tags having <NULL> as its
value. The job can be easily done by using an aproppriate filter.

Many description tags contain a value=<NULL>, likewise. (description1,
description2,description3)

We should not forget, that the whole area needs further work to check
for missing intersections at highways, intersecting highways with
waterways, ...

By the way, the most buildings are not right-angled.

WernerP