[Talk-us] Massachusetts addresses/tiger addresses

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Fri Dec 7 16:36:16 GMT 2012

> From: Greg Troxel [mailto:gdt at ir.bbn.com]
> Subject: Re: [Talk-us] Massachusetts addresses/tiger addresses
>
> Jason Remillard <remillard.jason at gmail.com> writes:
>
> My take on first steps is to get code that translates the state data to
> osm format, and to be able to separate it into per-town chunks (if it
> doesn't already come that way), and maybe smaller chunks, and to review
> that.

https://github.com/pnorman/ogr2osm-translations/blob/master/surrey/addresses
.py may be relevant. Because most address data is fairly similar adapting it
may just be a matter of changing field names.

If the road name data is split into parts I have some code that expands it
in parts and then combines the parts that would replace tags['addr:street']
= ' '.join([affixlookup.get(part.title(), part) for part in
attrs['ROAD_NAME'].split()])

https://github.com/pnorman/ogr2osm-translations/issues/2 is also relevant. I
would like to be able to specify an address translation as a JSON file.

> For addressing, I wonder about:
>
>   For each parcel, finding the point of tangency to the road matching
>   the parcel name, and putting in a point 5m off the road midway along
>   the tangency.   This has a good chance of being either close enough
>   that if you are at the point the address location is obvious or close
>   to the driveway.  This could be done without buildings.
>
>   For each parcel, see how many buildings are in in.  If exactly 1 and
>   there are no address tags in the parcel, put the address tags on the
>   building, guessing that it's probably right.

Is this address data point data or polygon data? Different GIS departments
handle this different ways.

Don't forget you also need to figure out how to eliminate addresses from the
import that are already in OSM.