[Talk-us] Fwd: Re: Role of the Wiki

Charlotte Wolter techlady at techlady.com
Sat Dec 8 19:32:15 GMT 2012

Martijn,

         Your reply illustrates what is wrong with with OSM's
approach to giving members, especially new ones, the tools they need.
         The attitude that that information is there if you are
willing to look for it is very flawed. Any organization that wants to
be inclusive and to encourage others to participate needs to provide
them with information that is definitive and easy to access.
Otherwise, OSM runs the danger of being an exclusive club of insiders
who know all the secrets, while everyone else is essentially left out
of the party.
         Long-term, this will lead to OSM's demise.
         OSM needs to add a lot more people, if it is to meet its
goal of making a feature-rich accurate map of the world. But the idea
that a newer member should be willing to search through 10 to 12
information sources to find out how to map works completely counter
to that goal.
         We need to create a Wiki that everyone can understand, use
and reply on.
         I propose that we create a definitive wki, overseen by a
working group. This would not mean that the wiki never would change.
But it would enable a reliable, source of information for newcomers
and, I believe, would greatly improve map quality.

Charlotte Wolter

>  h=mime-version:sender:in-reply-to:references:from:date
>  :x-google-sender-auth:message-id:subject:to:cc:content-type;
>  bh=6APdrewqDZZdLC2COWmiXxbtOSRGw63NurY1elHBvfo=;
>  b=lST4mlqEBn+pAkhJag1xnpsZ1OAkX0Lv2LPCuL37JcwGtcCbPPrIDpaWQ/leEhGRaL
>  4XD/AB6fXFN4UbSI68Rh8QnAJG8TyOcaQeYwwXmSlM5VPw6ZgduXiY6b1miSA2AYVEDd
>  mpKo3/1JPkE4E860JkpMqNXpboUnX7MG7Yme1RAmq0SROrBpt3kQm7bRu7CAdcNBwCfL
>  j7x+JY9bLiVntNzthGdpg27PEzEAIbwbu0GdV+k3XJQ0LyXXH6HZd0NhcJDUVpHmShwT
>  B1lFEVXZ56PebFnaPne+GF2+zjQi+9VuCSX1T5BT68QlVPMiZTGdXwEjZjyWy8talGf0
>  D4Bg==
>From: Martijn van Exel <m at rtijn.org>
>Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2012 13:31:09 -0700
>To: Scott Rollins <organist at gmail.com>
>  Serge Wroclawski <emacsen at gmail.com>, Jeff Meyer <jeff at gwhat.org>,
>  OpenStreetMap US Talk <talk-us at openstreetmap.org>
>Subject: Re: [Talk-us] Role of the Wiki
>  <mailto:talk-us-request at openstreetmap.org?subject=subscribe>
>
>No place to learn what to do? The wiki may be overwhelming, sometimes
>outdated and incorrect, or even a vehicle for personal opinions on
>tagging and whatnot, but there are definitely resources to help you
>get started. All OSM editors have useful presets for common features,
>you can't really go wrong with those. The Map Features page[1]
>describes widely used common tags. learnosm.org is there to guide you
>through first steps in OSM. And if you're looking for help or if you
>don't feel confident about your edits, there's these and other mailing
>lists, IRC, help.osm.org and forum.osm.org. OpenStreetMap US hosts
>regular Virtual Mappy Hours you can join from anywhere. There's
>Facebook, LinkedIn and Google+ pages where helpful members are always
>willing to answer questions. Some of these resources may require a
>little effort on your part, and they may not all be as well advertised
>or interconnected as they should be, but you have to realize that
>OpenStreetMap is eternally a work in progress, run entirely by
>volunteers who are working really hard to keep up with and channel
>that progress.
>
>You are apparently willing to spend your time reading these mailing
>lists, so why not be constructive about it and either ask questions to
>  help you along in your mapping efforts, or make some actionable
>suggestions about how we can do a better job explaining mapping and
>tagging to new contributors?
>
>Best,
>Martijn
>
>[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Map_Features
>
>On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 12:38 PM, Scott Rollins <organist at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I'll just say that, whether "bug" or "feature," this message perfectly
> > encapsulates why I am unwilling to spend my time working on OSM. I don't
> > want to waste my time, and by not having a good place to learn
> what to do, I
> > have to do a whole lot of work to figure out whether the additions I'm
> > making will be useful or simply clutter up the database.

> [...]

Charlotte Wolter
927 18th Street Suite A
Santa Monica, California
90403
+1-310-597-4040
techlady at techlady.com
Skype: thetechlady

The Four Internet Freedoms
Freedom to know all the terms of a service, particularly any that
would affect the first three freedoms.