[Talk-us] MassGIS building conversion

andrzej zaborowski balrogg at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 01:17:10 GMT 2012

On 11 December 2012 03:46, Jason Remillard <remillard.jason at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think the plan should be to give the local mappers some time hand merge
> the data in, record what towns were done by hand, then import rest of the
> data with a script (or coarse not putting buildings over buildings).

Sounds like a reasonable plan.

> Most of
> the towns int he state don't have local mappers, most of the state will be
> done with the script.
>

>> Re: license, I've heard personally from MassGIS director Christian Jacqz
>> that all of Mass' GIS data is public domain based on the state's open policy
>> on public records. I think this is fantastic, a link to a law or similar
>> would still be useful.
>>
>> Is there address data that could be conflated with these buildings?
>

> Yes, there is a level 3 parcel data that has addresses in it. The buildings
> need to go in first, so we can do the addresses next year.

It might be better to include the addresses in the tags of the same
dataset so that the manually imported areas don't have to be worked on
twice, at least those addresses that can be associated with a
building.

It's a shame that the average height information was not included in
the attributes of those "roofprints".  This information is often
estimated when people draw buildings manually by adding the floors
count, but actual heights for buildings in OSM more often comes from
imports.  http://www.mass.gov/anf/research-and-tech/it-serv-and-support/application-serv/office-of-geographic-information-massgis/datalayers/structures.html
has an interesting description of how the heights were calculated for
MassGIS buildings in the areas covered by state LIDAR data for the
purpose of shifting the outlines to their correct places.  I wonder
how difficult it would be to repeat this process to add the height=
tags.

Cheers