[Talk-us] [Imports] MassGIS Building Import Start

Josh Doe josh at joshdoe.com
Thu Dec 13 17:56:07 GMT 2012

On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 12:46 PM, Jeff Meyer <jeff at gwhat.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 8:55 AM, Josh Doe <josh at joshdoe.com> wrote:
>
>> Obviously the number actually imported will be less, since I'm assuming
>> there are a few structures already mapped in OSM. :)
>

> Should there be an implicit assumption that structures already mapped in
> OSM are of better quality than those being reviewed for import? Obviously,
> there shouldn't be a blind overwrite or duplication, but the process Jason
> has outlined involves a fair amount of curated review.

For the first take, yes, don't import any structures that are already
mapped (or really, just overlap), which is what he seems to have done with
the preprocessing step.

It would be useful to create a second OSM file with structures that were
excluded in this preprocessing step, so a second step could be to compare
them in case MassGIS is more accurate or up to date than what is in OSM.
Perhaps Jason has already done this, or at least saved the original
database so this can then be run. It would be very messy to determine which
buildings were excluded after the import is done, without looking at the
full history of each building.

-Josh