[Talk-us] Fwd: Re: More on TIGER: Where it's likely safe to import

Charlotte Wolter techlady at techlady.com
Mon Dec 17 21:01:40 GMT 2012

>  d=google.com; s=20120113;
>  h=content-type:mime-version:subject:from:in-reply-to:date:cc
>  :content-transfer-encoding:message-id:references:to:x-mailer
>  :x-gm-message-state;
>  bh=2nLuO7eTB6RvHegtilzC/gZRaRmYHSpTPIcZmnGU67M=;
>  b=a+nMSrmhY+QNA4VCT1J2xx5WvLhEtX1NmsgLn1adR3IRb1C5hFapbHgB//kl4g3RHK
>  YfEbED9LUE5zmXmsk/MQky0AeptM8cPRWMW4k93RcFzL+f9jnn88t7GwXofkS/hxkbhR
>  CEXQ4AyiO0VtBiscU50czWeazOQc0pL0X7lTEXwt1nquycumfnUvAmD9id4NziUQCRJR
>  O6SVAq0fg9bH1DGnUg7KT1uqzYAZkE4ZdBuUzHvvGdi2mhe39tY6oUca3yYd+LU17Zsi
>  wAMxlOxzAxTBWcpuNahSB/LTi32F3guui5uklJVA5a3keY6A3s79Kr5IPv2HLXLi5VFQ
>  r8dg==
>From: Steve Coast <steve at asklater.com>
>Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 12:22:10 -0800
>To: Martijn van Exel <m at rtijn.org>
>Cc: Michal Migurski <mike at teczno.com>,
>  OpenStreetMap US Talk <talk-us at openstreetmap.org>
>Subject: Re: [Talk-us] More on TIGER: Where it's likely safe to import
>Hi Mike,

         I was looking at the web page yu
created. One problem is that I'm not sure which
green, light or dark or kinda light or kinda
dark, means an untouched kilometer. Also, what does black mean?
         Then I checked an area I edited
extensively: Chinle, Arizona. Again, I was
puzzled because I have worked on most of the
area, but some is dark green, some light green and some black.
         However, the basic idea seems great. It
just needs a little more interpretation, I think, and maybe different colors?

Best,

Charlotte

>  <mailto:talk-us-request at openstreetmap.org?subject=subscribe>
>
>Nice.
>
>Suggestions;
>
>- kill water somehow
>- Information density at low zoom levels implies
>that basically everywhere is green. But you zoom
>to the bay area and see this isn't the case. So,
>change the coloring? Modulate it by population density?
>
>Steve
>
>On Dec 16, 2012, at 8:32 PM, Martijn van Exel <m at rtijn.org> wrote:
>
> > OK this is plain awesome. Great work Mike.
> >
> > One note of caution though - the title may suggest that you can just
> > go ahead and import away, but folks would still have to follow the
> > import guidelines and contact the OSM community at large, come up with
> > a solid proposal and discuss that, even if there is no local
> > community. I know it says it on the tin, but it's kind of tucked away
> > at the bottom.
> >
> > Have you looked into full history planet parsing to get a fuller
> > picture of editing history? I took a stab at full history user metrics
> > some time ago using osmjs;
> > https://github.com/mvexel/OSMQualityMetrics/blob/master/UserStats.js -
> > this produces one set of metrics for the entire .osh file you feed it
> > but it may prove useful for future work. I haven't touched this in a
> > while but it should still work :/
> >
> > On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 8:02 PM, Michal Migurski <mike at teczno.com> wrote:
> >> I pulled together some of the notes and
> imagery I've been posting here recently:
> >>
> >>        http://www.openstreetmap.us/~migurski/green-means-go/
> >>
> >> It's a map of 1km×1km squares covering the
> continental United States. Green squares show
> places where data imports are unlikely to
> interfere with community mapping. Raw data is linked at the bottom.
> >>
> >> Three things that would make this better:
> >>
> >> - Regular updates with archived older versions.
> >> - Renders for specific counties, intended for local GIS communities.
> >> - Some awareness of full planet history.
> >>
> >> The OSM-US server has data for regular updates.
> >>
> >> -mike.

> >> michal migurski- contact info and pgp key:
> >> sf/ca            http://mike.teczno.com/contact.html

> > --
> > Martijn van Exel
> > http://oegeo.wordpress.com/
> > http://openstreetmap.us/

Charlotte Wolter
927 18th Street Suite A
Santa Monica, California
90403
+1-310-597-4040
techlady at techlady.com
Skype: thetechlady

The Four Internet Freedoms
Freedom to know all the terms of a service,
particularly any that would affect the first three freedoms.