[Talk-us] Discussion culture Re: Imports and Mass Edits in the US

Alex Barth alex at mapbox.com
Tue Dec 18 04:19:34 GMT 2012

On Dec 17, 2012, at 9:15 PM, Jason Remillard <remillard.jason at gmail.com> wrote:

> For my import, 80% of the
> useful feedback was off list in private emails because people don't
> want to deal with the rude behavior in the list. I made a bunch of
> decisions that might seem weird to people that just follow the list.
> But I assure you that I cared a whole lot what the 4 people who signed
> up actually help thought about all of the issues.

This I find very interesting. To some extent it reflects my first impressions with OSM mailing lists. I know many people who are too daunted to subscribe, I find that is a shame. If it wasn't for friends in the offline world who got me started on OSM, I would have been way too intimidated by the lists to just jump in. Why is this? What can we improve?

Alex Barth
http://twitter.com/lxbarth
tel (+1) 202 250 3633