[Talk-us] identifying TIGER deserts

Michal Migurski mike at teczno.com
Thu Dec 20 19:19:38 GMT 2012

On Dec 19, 2012, at 5:39 PM, Ruben Lopez Mendoza wrote:

> We've worked out some kinks of our first attempt to identify TIGER deserts, and produced maps a couple maps along the way.
>
>> I've captured all of this work - the postgres functions, shapefiles, and tilemill projects in the a repo here:https://github.com/Rub21/tiger-deserts

+1.

> next steps
>
> A few obvious steps stand out, including rendering a national version of these maps. I'd also love to figure out whether it makes sense to join forces with Mike Migurski's Green Means Go map.
>
> It'd also be interesting to use a smarter Osmosis command (and the full history file) to limit the input data to just those ways created by the 3 primary user accounts associated with the TIGER import:https://github.com/MapQuest/TIGER-Edited-map/blob/master/inc/layer-tiger.xml.inc#L45 (h/t Migurski)

Joining forces would be fun!

For the past two days, I've been processing the Full History file into a form that's easier to cope with for a big categorization run. I want to look at the individual nodes, using their associated changesets to pick up on non-import edits that fell through the cracks when I looked only at OSM ways.

Here's where I'm at now:
	http://www.openstreetmap.us/~migurski/TIGER-Raster/nodes/

-mike.

sf/ca            http://mike.teczno.com/contact.html