[Talk-us] Whole-US Garmin Map update - 2012-01-30

Dave Hansen dave at sr71.net
Wed Feb 1 20:54:15 GMT 2012

On 02/01/2012 12:48 PM, stevea wrote:
>> These are based off of Lambertus's work here:
>
> I love these, I really do, and I must say thank you for "standing on
> Lambertus' shoulders."  But I have one important request.  I have even
> reformatted my 2 GB microSD cards, but I can't seem to get them to have
> a capacity of more than 1.84 GB.  Your "2 GB compatible" .img files are
> 1.87 GB, and so I am forced to downshift to the 1 GB versions,
> effectively "wasting" about half of my card's capacity.
>
> If you were to make these 1.8 or 1.81 GB (tops), then that would leave
> me a bit of room for track logs and such, and make much better use of my
> 2 GB microSD card (which is where my Garmin 60CSx maxes out).
> Analogously, you might trim other .img files by a similar 1.63% (or so),
> though I can only speak to the specifics of my situation (2 GB card).

I used to *try* and make the maps fit at ~95% of the card.  Some things
like variable compression ratios and the sizes of the combined indexes
make this hard to predict.  So, it's possible that they're changing and
getting bigger over time.  Anyway, I'll change that from 95% to 90% for
the next batch of maps and see how it goes.

Thanks for the feedback!