[Talk-us] Fresno has no primary roads

Martijn van Exel m at rtijn.org
Tue Feb 14 06:23:08 GMT 2012

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 7:19 PM, Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/13/2012 6:21 PM, Martijn van Exel wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've never been to Fresno, but I can't believe there would not be a
>> single primary road there. Still, that is the Truth According To
>> OSM[1]
>>
>> Who knows more about this situation? Are there any local mappers on
>> this list who can shed their light on this? Is this armchair mapping
>> gone awry? Someone who doesn't like red?
>

> It could just as easily be local mapping gone awry, by a local who thinks
> only state highways should be primary. The TIGER import would not have
> included any primaries, since there are no U.S. Highways in Fresno (though
> any such would be motorway).

So only TIGER CFCC A2* were mapped to highway=primary in the import?
I guess that makes sense -- TIGER has a clear distinction between
primary (A2), secondary (A3) and local roads (A4). But in that
classification, where do the tertiary and trunk roads come in?
I can't find the original TIGER files that the import was sourced
from, but would that show that there are no A2 class roads in Fresno?

--
martijn van exel
geospatial omnivore