[Talk-us] Analysis of US road network and TIGER status

Mike N niceman at att.net
Fri Feb 17 00:04:41 GMT 2012

On 2/16/2012 6:38 PM, Martijn van Exel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I did an state-by-state and county-by-county analysis of the road
> network in the US. I focused particularly on TIGER and user-related
> metrics.
> Results (with maps of course) are here:
> https://oegeo.wordpress.com/2012/02/16/the-state-of-the-openstreetmap-road-network-in-the-us/
> I'd love to hear your ideas for further analysis, and other feedback.

   A very good analysis!   I have some observations, that may or may not
be significant.

  For the Average version increase over TIGER ways - the effects of the
name expansion bot may have created the green states out west
'balrog-kun'.   This might also apply to the 'Percentage untouched TIGER
ways' map.

  I'm surprised by the 'Percentage TIGER ways' map, in which NC and SC
both have less than 50% roads as TIGER roads.  Just to confirm that this
is for roads only and no hydrography or other ways?

   Once again, thanks - I like to see this sort of information!