[Talk-us] name expansion bot (Re: Imports information on the wiki)

Mike N niceman at att.net
Fri Feb 17 20:50:26 GMT 2012

On 2/17/2012 3:02 AM, Alan Mintz wrote:
> if the name has been edited by a human, it should not be updated by a
> bot, or even another human unless they are willing to prove their edit.
> I've edited thousands of names based on photo surveys and official
> record research and wouldn't want that high-quality data corrupted.

For myself, I don't know how to determine what the "correct name" would
be ... if it doesn't match the street sign, I'd be inclined to change it
to agree with the sign, unless there's a 'note' tag to other mappers.
Similarly, an 'anti-abbreviation-bot' tag would prevent bots from
undoing your research.