[Talk-us] name expansion bot (Re: Imports information on the wiki)

Rich richlv at nakts.net
Sat Feb 18 00:41:40 GMT 2012

On 02/18/12 02:28, TC Haddad wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 4:10 PM, Rich <richlv at nakts.net
> <mailto:richlv at nakts.net>> wrote:
>
>     it wouldn't be the device renderer (in most cases) but the the tools
>     used to process the data - for example, mkgmap would do the
>     shortening for garmin maps
>

> Thanks - I agree that makes the most sense to me too. But (forgive my
> ignorant question here) is it appropriate to create geographically
> specific exceptions to the data processing rules?

in general, it's up to the data processing clients - one example might
be http://mapq.st/wDMF7O or http://mapq.st/xzhceF

> So if Portland Garmin users wanted to alter mkgmap so that the data for
> the Portland metro area was processed to render as the more customary
> (for here) short quadrant abbreviation labels, that would be an
> acceptable proposal?

i guess it wouldn't be that much about altering mkgmap as it's
stylesheets/whatever is the correct name :)

other proposals suggested have included additional tags that would hold
shortened versions (multiple of them, as some entities could be
shortened either a bit, or a lot, depending on how much space is
available - and there is no way for automated solutions to figure out
how to shorten some of them in a decent way)

--
  Rich