[Talk-us] undesignated bike lanes (Re: Feature Proposal - RFC - Tag:cycleway=buffered_lane)

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 13:50:56 GMT 2012

On 2/20/2012 8:23 AM, Hillsman, Edward wrote:
> While we are discussing this, we should
> also agree on how to tag bicycle lanes that are unmarked. We have a
> surprising number of these in my area of the world. They have no signs
> (I know, they are no longer required to) and no markings within the
> lanes, but they clearly are intended to be bicycle lanes—they have the
> dashed pavement approaching intersections, and deviations to the left of
> right-turn-only lanes. Should these be “cycleway=unmarked_lane”, which I
> believe you have used, or “cycleway=lane, cycleway:marking=unmarked” or
> “cycleway=lane, marking:cycleway=unmarked”?

For the record, FDOT calls these "undesignated bike lanes". I used
unmarked_lane since the mandatory bike lane law here refers to "a lane
marked for bicycle use". Since they are not marked as travel lanes, in
addition to not being mandatory, they are not always kept clear of
debris. I believe I asked on one of these lists when I began tagging
them, as well as here:
http://commuteorlando.com/forum/index.php?topic=366.15

It's a similar question to whether a wide sidewalk with no special
markings should be tagged as a cycleway=track or just sidewalk=*.