[Talk-us] Getting ready for the license change

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Fri Jan 13 20:00:43 GMT 2012

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 2:44 PM, Martijn van Exel <m at rtijn.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 11:55 AM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:

>> I will even pre-emptively delete stuff that I know would otherwise get
>> deleted automatically, because that way I am in control, I see what happens,
>> I see the side effects, and can repair where necessary. The other option is
>> waiting for some bot to do something and then try and find out what happened
>> afterwards.
>
> I do that too. There is of course a small chance of the decliner
> changing his or her mind, so I only delete data that is tainted by a
> decliner that I have personally been in touch with about the license
> change and my best judgement is that his / her decision is final.

We often improve or remap the work of other mappers without seeking
permission first.  So contacting mappers in advance of cleaning an
area is not required.  I check in with no-response accounts as I check
an area.  I'm not contacting every decliner when I clean objects they
touched but I do try to send a note to each non-responder. Decliners
have stated their position and I'm not interested in haranguing them.

I've found some non-responders who didn't remember that they had
contributed data to OSM.  And some who have started mapping again.
That's awesome.