[Talk-us] TIGER 2011 Road Tiles

Kristian M Zoerhoff zoerhoff at sdf.org
Mon Jan 16 20:24:17 GMT 2012

On Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 12:11:49PM -0600, Ian Dees wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> In order to assist with road name checking I've set up a Mapnik layer
> rendering from TIGER 2011 ROADS data. It consists of a transparent tile
> with a white line (of varying thickness for the different MTFCC's) for the
> road and white text for the road's full name. I did this with JOSM in mind
> (which will stack imagery layers). I haven't tested it in P2 but would be
> happy to set up a different style for users of P2. It's designed for higher
> zooms and I don't do anything particular for low zooms. In fact it looks
> pretty noisy and slow, but it still works.
>
> The JOSM TMS URL is http://{switch:a,b,c}.
> tile.openstreetmap.us/tiger2011_roads/{zoom}/{x}/{y}.png
>
> I have grand plans to create vector layers as well (to allow for
> spot-importing of TIGER data), but I don't have time to do that currently.
> Let me know if you have any ideas to make it better.

I got it working in Potlatch 2 [*], but as someone else mentioned, the white
layer is invisible on Potlatch's default manilla background. The
black-outlined text labels are fine.

Otherwise, it looks awesome. Nice work!

* As http://tile.openstreetmap.us/tiger2011_roads/$z/$x/$y.png in the
Background menu.