[Talk-us] Finding new roads

Toby Murray toby.murray at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 07:32:38 GMT 2012

On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 6:48 PM, Nick Hocking <nick.hocking at gmail.com> wrote:
> I believe that OSm's most usefull attribute is to be up to date.
>
> The only real way to do this is with a local mapper but bringing
> the USA up to Tiger 2011 up-to-datedness would be a great start.
>

> Are there tools to....
>
> 1. Compare named OSM roads with Tiger 2011 roads and highlight
> just the  new ones.

I forget who originally posted this but the only thing along these
lines that I've seen before is to convert new TIGER data to .osm and
then load it up as a second layer in JOSM. Change the "inactive" color
to something bright and then load current OSM data on top as the
active layer. At an appropriate zoom level the bright colored,
inactive background layer with new data will only show where there is
not any existing OSM data to blot it out.

But that is kind of cumbersome and will only work for relatively small
areas. An ideal solution would be to come up with tiles that only
render data from TIGER 2011 that doesn't already exist in OSM and then
have a tool to facilitate importing missing areas. But that doesn't
exactly strike me as easy.

Alternatively, we could grow the community and not have to rely on
TIGER. This also seems hard though :(

Toby

Toby