[Talk-us] Exactly what does an address correspond to?

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 21:22:04 GMT 2012

Presumably the answer is "a mailbox". But we generally map buildings and
properties long before we map mailboxes, and when used as a location one
expects an address to be the actual location the mail is intended for,
not the location of the mailbox (which may be e.g. out on the main road
or in a central location).

So back to the original question: exactly what should an address
correspond to in OSM? For example:
*A large resort hotel with one address for the main building/hotel as a
whole and others for individual buildings.
*A mall with one address, but some large stores have their own addresses.
*Two office buildings that share an address.

How do GIS professionals usually handle these issues?