[Talk-us] Anyone want to team up to work on Austin, Texas (was LA and other license changeover challenged areas)

Toby Murray toby.murray at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 08:20:54 GMT 2012

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 5:29 PM, Thea Aldrich <theaglitter at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey Ya'll,
> Does anyone want to work together to fix up Austin, Texas? I know the city
> like the back of my hand (I grew up there, went to UT, etc) but there is too
> much work for one person...
> Thea

Well I'm making my way down I-35 from Dallas to Waco right now,
processing data I collected over Christmas and license cleaning at the
same time. I would be happy to keep going and do some license cleaning
on down to Austin, especially on the interstates. The city itself is
indeed a pretty big mess :( Looks like mostly one user who has
explicitly declined. Tonight I already remapped a bunch of nodes on a
creek through the city. The way was clean, just a bunch of dirty
nodes.

Anyway, I'm wondering if places like this might be candidates for
TIGER re-imports? The problem of course being that we don't really
have easy to use tools to replace data in place. I just tried
converting Travis county to .osm using the tag translation that Phil
Gold talked about back in January. Unfortunately ogr2osm is kind of
messy in some places since it creates relations and overlapping ways ,
particularly for highway routes but also for other random roads. So
I'm not sure if this is the best way to do it. If someone wants to
take a look, feel free. And feel free to remap things in Austin from
it to help Thea out! Beware that this is a somewhat large file (20 MB)
and JOSM will want a lot of memory to open it and it will still be
slow to render if you are zoomed out very far. Turning on wireframe
mode will help with rendering.
http://ni.kwsn.net/~toby/OSM/travis_tx.osm

I will look at it some more and hopefully do some remapping myself but
my time is somewhat limited.

Toby

Toby