[Talk-us] Remapping is good

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Tue Jan 31 22:04:48 GMT 2012

On 1/31/12 4:41 PM, John F. Eldredge wrote:
> Nathan Edgars II<neroute2 at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> On 1/31/2012 4:07 PM, Nick Hocking wrote:
>>> Blimey - two streets up from Arvia, Asbury Street was incorrectly
>>> named in OSM as Ashbury.
>>> Just how many typos are there in L.A.
>>> Hey - now there's a good idead for a competition!!!
>> What you mean is that imports are better than surveying (since mappers
>>
>> make typos). The correctness of this is left to the reader.
>>
> All mappers make some errors, whether you are talking about the mappers who originally created the data found in TIGER, OSM mappers, or even Google Maps.  I found a case in Google Maps the other day where, if you searched for a certain street address, it would point you to a location that was on the correct street, but a couple of miles from the correct location.

in the case of Tiger 200<whatever> vs Tiger 2011, a change in street name
is probably a correction.

in a case of Tiger 20<mumble> vs an edit by a local mapper, i'd stick with
the local mapper.

in all cases, one should look at the source and make an informed decision
what to preserve.

there will no doubt be some mistakes committed during this process,
nothing is ever completely error free.

richard