[Talk-us] Scenic/Historic byways

Kevin Kenny kkenny2 at nycap.rr.com
Mon Jul 9 03:03:43 BST 2012

On 07/08/2012 03:20 PM, Toby Murray wrote:
> Just came across this while processing pictures from my bike across Kansas:
> http://i.imgur.com/bmiV2.jpg
>
> This is a sign for the "Western Vistas" historic byway. It even has a website:
> http://www.westernvistashistoricbyway.com/
>
> Closer to home I have also seen a "Scenic Byway" sign. This seems to
> be an official designation by the US DOT as discussed here:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Scenic_Byway
>
> I'm not seeing nearly as much information on historic byways. Are
> these designated by the DOT as well or are they just tourist
> attractions? The website for the Western Vistas one is registered to
> the Wild West Historical Foundation in Oakley, KS which makes me think
> it is just a local thing.
>
> So how do we map these? I didn't see anything in the wiki and taginfo
> only shows 62 uses of national_byway=Bernwood Forest Loop. And that's
> about all I could find about byways.
>
> This obviously needs to be a route relation. Most of the tags should
> be fairly straightforward.
>
> So far I have:
> type=route
> route=road
> name=Western Vistas Historic Byway
>
> What about a network tag? Maybe network=byway:historic and
> byway:scenic? Are there other types? There doesn't seem to be any use
> for a ref=* tag. Anything else I'm missing?

I have another such thing local to me - Erie Canal National Heritage
Corridor.  (Some roads and trails are signed or otherwise identified
as belonging to it.)  It appears to be designated by National Park
Service, rather than DOT.

I just checked, though, and it doesn't seem to be tagged in any specific
way.  So you may have identified a larger project. :)

--
73 de ke9tv/2, Kevin