[Talk-us] railway=abandoned and mapping things that are not there any more?

Kevin Kenny kkenny2 at nycap.rr.com
Thu Jul 12 18:24:34 BST 2012

On 07/12/2012 12:37 PM, Peter Dobratz wrote:
> What makes railroads a special case?
>
> Do we really want a bunch of railway=abandoned Ways running directly
> through newly constructed runways, buildings, roads, parking lots,
> etc?

I'm of two minds.  A lot of my map projects relate to the back country.
There, an abandoned railway or abandoned highway is likely still to
be graded reasonably and present a hikable path.  So an outdoorsperson
is likely to want these on the map in places where other features
haven't obliterated them.

But I do find it annoying to see residential streets with labels
designating a car-line that went out of business eighty years ago.

I suspect this is yet another "urban vs. rural" concern, like
highway=residential as opposed to highway=road.  We seem to trip over
those with some regularity.

--
73 de ke9tv/2, Kevin