[Talk-us] railway=abandoned and mapping things that are not there any more?

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Thu Jul 12 20:10:51 BST 2012

I think it's important to separate "there's a way in the db" and
"there's a line on some render".

Personally, I want to see old railway lines on the map.  I find there's
almost always evidence along the line, but not always at some point.

So I think we need tags that are more like the USGS maps, where there is
  active
  out of service
  abandoned:
    tracks
    old railroad grade
    historical only (not shown on USGS)

so renders can choose to show 'old railroad grade' or 'abandoned tracks'
but not historical-only.

So let's spiff up the render, not lose the info from the db.