[Talk-us] railway=abandoned and mapping things that are not there any more?

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Fri Jul 13 14:31:13 BST 2012

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 12:26 AM, Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/12/2012 11:43 PM, Peter Dobratz wrote:
>>
>> NE2,
>>
>> So after I bring up that I don't think railways should be drawn through
>> buildings, and most people agree with me on that, you decide to do this:
[ ... ]

> For the record, I do object. And the fact that you would consider killing a
> fly with a sledgehammer is disturbing.

Have I missed something here?  It seems like we were discussing the
conditions for including a "just barely visible from hints" feature
like railway=abandoned/dismantled.  And it seems like there is broad
agreement that such an object with no such visible hints is currently
not appropriate for the OSM db.  Right?

So how did this turn into,"Hey, here's a whole bunch of abandoned
railways covering five states" ?

I would expect that any addition of objects that are known to be
marginal, like railway=abandoned, would need verification from another
source that such object meets our minimum criteria.  Can we agree on
that?

Also, "NE2", these edits have all the hallmarks of mass / bulk edits.
1) Large in volume and extent.  2) Unlikely to be verified or
reconciled with other sources.  3) No supporting local knowledge.

Bulk / mass edits and imports are on hold during the redaction
period.[1]  Don't continue these without previous consultation with
the sysadmins.