[Talk-us] railway=abandoned and mapping things that are not there any more?

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 21:43:01 BST 2012

On 7/13/2012 8:45 AM, Peter Dobratz wrote:
> On 7/13/12, Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 7/12/2012 11:43 PM, Peter Dobratz wrote:
>>> NE2,
>>>
>>> So after I bring up that I don't think railways should be drawn through
>>> buildings, and most people agree with me on that, you decide to do this:
>>>
>>> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=42.762886&lon=-71.430509&zoom=18&layers=M
>>>
>>> Does 86 Central Street, Hudson, NH have remnants of a railroad running
>>> through their living room?  No, because that's ridiculous.
>>
>> Is it on the former route of a railway? Of course. And that's what
>> railway=abandoned has meant since I joined OSM.
>
> That is the exact point being discussed.  Why are we singling out
> railways as a feature that essentially never goes away entirely even
> though areas have been completely redeveloped?
>
> In the case of the houses on Central Street in Hudson, these aren't
> exactly new construction.  Here are the dates of construction
> according to the town of Hudson's property tax assessor:

Sorry about that, and thanks. I did in fact have it on the wrong side of
the street:
http://historical.mytopo.com/getImage.asp?fname=mnch41sw.jpg&state=NH
http://www.wardmaps.com/viewasset.php?aid=5127

If you want to change portions to railway=dismantled, I won't complain.
But note that there are definite traces in places, at least across the
Merrimack.