[Talk-us] Reminder: OSM US Tile Server

Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 13:19:46 BST 2012

Hi everyone!

I wanted to remind you all that OSM US has its very own tile server that's
currently serving a couple very useful tile layers (and some other
moderately useful layers):

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Foundation/Local_Chapters/United_States/Servers/Imagery

I want to especially point out the new USGS layers I added earlier this
week:

   - Scanned Topos: Shows scanned USGS topographic maps. These are usually
   the source for GNIS points and tend to be relatively old (especially when
   zoomed in), so you can look for data changes or spot incorrectly-named
   features.
   - "Large Scale" imagery: This is an amalgamation of all USGS imagery.
   When you're zoomed out (it starts at zoom 12), it uses NAIP (~1 meter
   resolution), but as you zoom in it will switch over to using other, higher
   resolution sources if they are available. I believe it includes sources
   that aren't in the HRO imagery layer. This is probably the best source to
   use for general mapping.

Feel free to use these for your day to day mapping. In some cases the USGS
has data that Bing hasn't included yet, so it's definitely worth adding to
your arsenal.

-Ian

PS: If you have any ideas for other layers you'd like to see, I'm happy to
try to get them rendered or shown here.