[Talk-us] Fwd: Re: Post bot cleanup

Toby Murray toby.murray at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 16:50:43 BST 2012

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 10:05 AM, Charlotte Wolter
<techlady at techlady.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
>         The damage in LA is much more severe: missing segments of freeways,
> roads gone.
>         I thought the bot was supposed to be "smart" enough to subnstitute
> TIGER data when eliminating data by nonsigners. But that has not been done.
> I am finding many streets (and not ones too new to be in TiGER) that simply
> have been deleted. This is very disappointing and, to my mind, wrongheaded.
> Poorly done!
>         Why did the bot people never talk to anyone working on LA? That
> would have been important since it is an area with so much damage.

Well the decision was made to not restore objects that were deleted by
decliners. There was no special handling of TIGER data. There are some
good arguments for this approach but it also creates some problems.
Probably particularly in the US where the TIGER data is sometimes so
bad that mappers choose to just delete it and start from scratch. I'm
honestly not sure if it would have been better overall if deleted
objects had been restored or not. It would probably have led to a lot
of duplicated roads and overlapping things which are pretty hard to
deal with.

The good news is that TIGER data is still available to help in
remapping. The TIGER 2011 tiles were recently discussed on this
mailing list:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/TIGER_2011

Toby