[Talk-us] Routing tests

Toby Murray toby.murray at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 20:24:54 BST 2012

I think this topic deserves its own thread.

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 11:20 AM, Kai Krueger <kakrueger at gmail.com> wrote:

> OK, I have had a first stab at it.
>
> http://apmon.dev.openstreetmap.org/us_routing_grid.html
>
> It is only 25 cities so far, but if it turns out to be useful it can easily
> be extended to more cities.
>
> The big problem though is automatically figuring out if routes are broken or
> not and then colour them red or green accordingly. At the moment it doesn't
> do this at all.
>
> Anyone have some good ideas for this?
>
> The routing information is obtained from "Open Source Routing Machine",
> which is amazingly fast at calculating all of these long distance routes.
> OSRM updates its data daily, so I think the routing data is based on OSM
> data from yesterday. I.e. post redaction. If there is interest I could
> regenerate this routing grid daily too.

According to the wiki page, the old system used the as-the-crow-flies
distance between two cities as a basis. If it was more than 50%
longer, something is wrong. Not sure if that would still give
appropriate results or not though... There may be enough connectedness
now on secondary roads that the distance isn't off by quite that much
any more even with routing problems. I just did a route on OSRM from
NY to LA and it came out to just under 3,000 miles which seems about
right but there are some obvious routing errors. For example it gets
off of I-70 and goes through town in Saint Clairsville, Ohio but it is
about the same distance so things like this won't show up in the grid.
Hmmmm

Toby