[Talk-us] National Park boundaries

Mike N niceman at att.net
Mon Jul 23 00:55:05 BST 2012

On 7/22/2012 7:39 PM, Martijn van Exel wrote:
> But it turns out the NPS has a boundary
> shapefile for all National Parks, Historic Sites, Rivers, Parkways,
> Lakeshores and more than a dozen other categories[4].
>
> Is this something to consider for importing?

  I am in favor of importing park boundaries in particular because it is
usually impractical to survey them in the traditional way: park managers
don't want random unsupervised people wandering off trail trying to find
park boundaries.   The boundaries might be on dangerous terrain.  Park
boundaries are also often not possible to spot from aerial imagery.

  Rivers, waterways, etc are best obtained from NHD.