[Talk-us] National Park boundaries

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Mon Jul 23 01:07:39 BST 2012

  a search for 'Golden Spike' yields nada. I was about to draw a
  boundary=national_park[3] around it with a name tag, so it would be a
  little easier to find. But it turns out the NPS has a boundary
  shapefile for all National Parks, Historic Sites, Rivers, Parkways,
  Lakeshores and more than a dozen other categories[4].

I wouldn't object to importing park boundaries.

But, I find boundary=national_park odd, relative to the rest of
boundary=*.  For truly large parks, it makes some sense.
A related issue is tagging the polygon rather than the boundary, and the
landuse=conservation/leisure=recreatation_ground tagging (not really
right for parks, but actually the combination describes the NPS
mission).

So I have a mild preference (not backed up by volunteering) to make the
park boundary/polygon tagging a bit more baked before importing.