[Talk-us] OSM Meetup in Metro Atlanta (Late Notice)

Peter Dobratz peter at dobratz.us
Mon Jul 23 19:08:42 BST 2012

On 7/23/12, Martijn van Exel <m at rtijn.org> wrote:
> Increasingly, I also explain the use of apps
> (OSMTracker, Vespucci) as most people bring a smartphone. iPhones are
> not so useful as there are not too many OSM specific data collection
> apps available (I remember iLOE but don't know if that's still
> maintained? Also MapZen, discontinued afaik.

I have recently switched from pen + notebook to using my iPhone 4S
almost exclusively for taking notes.  I agree that there are not a
whole lot of OSM-specific apps that I have found on iOS.  I do find
the OpenMaps app useful for quickly displaying the Mapnik rendering of
my current location.  Also, the GPSTrack app is useful for recording a
track that I later email to myself and load into JOSM.  Mainly, though
I just use the built-in Camera app and Notes app.  I usually find
details in the photos that I didn't notice while I was taking the
pictures, and if I forget where I took the picture, they are
geotagged.  I use the Notes app mainly for recording house numbers and
other things that seem easier to just type in rather than taking a
picture.

Peter