[Talk-us] Of Mapping Party Kits and back to flyers / brochures

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Thu Jul 26 13:55:30 BST 2012

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 8:21 AM, Katie Filbert <filbertk at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 1:23 PM, Serge Wroclawski <emacsen at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 1:20 AM, Martijn van Exel <m at rtijn.org> wrote:
>>
>> > On a related note, I was thinking about a traveling mapping party kit:
>> > a bunch of GPSes, swag, some vests, instruction leaflets. A neat idea
>> > in itself, but I feel the US is just too big to make that practical.
>>
>> To sell, I fear the GPSes make it cost prohibitive.
>>
>> To lend, I suspect the GPSes make it hard to seed.
>>
>> But hey I'd love to be proven wrong.
>
> If we were to have regular mapping parties in the DC region (or NY), I'm
> sure that Wikimedia DC (or NYC) could fund a kit for the Mapping DC folks.
>
> I'm not sure about sending them across the country to lend out.  We could
> lend out within our region and maybe somewhat beyond.

What is preventing us from having more DC or NY mapping parties?  Is
it the lack of a mapping kit?  I don't recall many people saying that
they would organize and host a mapping party, if only they had a
MPKit.

I suggest, rather, that it is a lack of "round tuits".  The lack of a
kit makes it easier to say, "Well, if we had a kit, NewPerson in
SomeTown could host a Mapping Party."  Having a MPKit makes the
mapping party "somebody else's problem". When the alternative might be
to say, "Now _I'm_ going to host a Mapping Party in MyTown."

Most everybody in this thread has hosted or attended a mapping party,
so I don't intend to criticize.  And, if I'm pointing, I'm definitely
pointing at myself as much as at anybody else.  I just don't think
that a MPKit is the blocker here.  :-(

There are alternatives.  Mappy Hours and talks are two alternatives.

I'm down on Mapping Parties.  Part of this is because of my
phenomenally bad relationship with the weather during my Mapping
Parties.  :-)  That doesn't mean that you have to be down on Mapping
Parties, of course.  I like having a goal of "acquire new mappers who
continue to contribute", rather than, "map this area, today."  I find
that I feel more successful at that goal by hosting Mappy Hours and
doing "Intro to OSM" talks for groups.  And I find those events less
of a burden to organize, and much less weather dependent.  It means
that I do have to drop the goal of, "map this area, today."  You may
find that goal too attractive to abandon.

We've dragged this thread a long way from flyers.  Sorry.  I think
flyers are cool.  And thanks, tons, to Serge for providing me with
some from his trip to London.  I'm still handing them out. :-)

Best regards,
Richard, who realizes that he hasn't hosted a MP in 2012. :-(