[Talk-us] Highway ref again.

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Fri Jul 27 16:22:28 BST 2012

On Jul 27, 2012 8:07 AM, "Alan Mintz" <Alan_Mintz+OSM at earthlink.net> wrote:

> At least in Region 5 (CA), the roads have N or S in the X position, while
trails have E or W. However, I wasn't sure that everyone would necessarily
know that, so I went with a more descriptive prefix, based on the
terminology Forest Highway/Road/Trail found on the USFS site.

I figured the situation analogous to the Interstate system, where primary
routes are always two digits (5 and 8 being 05 and 08) with three-digit
interstates starting in odds being spurs and evens as bypasses as being
regionally assumed information.

> Road numbers in other USFS forests seem to be largely numeric, sometimes
with a letter suffix. Not sure about trails. Most mentions I see are names,
not numbers.

One thing that seems to be largely consistent are that highways are two
digits, roads are three, and trails are four or more digits, all in the
xxyz, where xx is the parent highway (or the primary one it connects to if
a road or trail), y is the road and z being the trail number (0 if a direct
connection).  For example, NFD 4891 is a 4x4 trail connecting to 4x4 trail
4890, which connects to 48.