[Talk-us] Kern County Import Cleanup

Sun Jul 29 10:13:47 BST 2012

At 2012-07-29 00:30, Paul Norman wrote:
>While doing this cleanup I would suggest removing attribution, description,
>kern:Comb_Zn, kern:Zn_Cd1 and setting source=Kern_County_GIS

There might be some objects that have been edited, so you'll want to add
";Kern_County_GIS" if there is an existing source tag. Are they all
"http://www.co.kern.ca.us/gis/Files/CountyZoning.zip", or were there
multiple types of data involved? Maybe append the year and month of the
file that was imported to the value, too (e.g. "Kern_County_GIS_Zones_200810").

I'm all for shortening/abbreviating values that are not meant to be
rendered (well, I'd be ok with some abbreviation in names, too, but that's
a different issue :) ). In particular, it seems a needless waste of space
to have these long descriptive source values repeated on every object of an
import. It makes more sense to me to document a source on the wiki page for
the source tag and use a reasonable abbreviation for it.

For example, in one particular excerpt (of source values with commas), the
source value "EarthScope (http://www.earthscope.org),International Solar
Information Solutions (http://www.isi-solutions.org),OpenTopography
(http://www.opentopography.org)" appears on at least 4000 objects instead
of something more reasonable like "EarthScope;ISIS;OpenTopo". Defining
source values in the wiki would also give one a chance to document details,
like the date of the data, research on copyright status, etc.