[Talk-us] Discardable TIGER tags

Toby Murray toby.murray at gmail.com
Sun Jul 29 22:21:11 BST 2012

On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 3:25 PM, Ian Dees <ian.dees at gmail.com> wrote:

>  While we're incrementing every single version number of TIGER data, we
> should think about expanding the road names, too. Using the prefix and
> suffix data already on the majority of the ways makes this pretty
> fool-proof, so where it makes sense I think we should do that, too.

Please check your glasses and re-read my message :) I am absolutely
not proposing an automated edit.

I have a working JOSM that automatically deletes tiger:upload_uuid.
The way I implemented it mirrors JOSM's concept of "uninteresting"
tags. This means that there is a default list of "discardable" tag
keys. The list can be modified in the advanced preferences. Search for
"tags.uninteresting" in the preferences if you want to see how it
works now.

The question is just what goes in the default list that gets populated
the first time you fire up a new JOSM version with this feature.

So far I have:

tiger:upload_uuid - definite yes

tiger:source - No opinions

tiger:separated - mixed feelings. If I could just remove "no" values
there seems to be unanimous support but that would require doing it
differently, probably hardcoding it in the source instead of going off
of a user preference.

tiger:tlid - there seems to be support for removing it although I do
recall someone opposing it strongly in the past as Anthony mentioned.
In theory it lets you link back to a specific TIGER object. In
practice it seems minimally useful with way splitting/merging and a
fairly high degree of certainty that an automated TIGER 2011+ reimport
where this could actually be used is probably not going to happen.

tiger:county - I personally like this tag. Most states do have county
borders but there are a few that are still missing.

tiger:cfcc - seems like there is a reasonable argument for keeping it

Toby