[Talk-us] Discardable TIGER tags

Martijn van Exel m at rtijn.org
Mon Jul 30 04:23:04 BST 2012

Hi,

On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 7:54 PM, Alan Mintz
<Alan_Mintz+OSM at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Some people have been removing some TIGER tags already for a while. My only
> concern would be that, if all the TIGER tags are removed from an object, we
> should add TIGER05 to the source tag, so as not to completely lose
> attribution.

The lineage would still be preserved in the feature's history. Going
back to v1, you would always be able to see that the creator was
DaveHansenTiger. Assuming that Dave never used that account to do
anything but the TIGER import. I see some more recent changesets by
that user that seem to be import fixes, like this one here.

All in all though, I don't think we need that tag to preserve lineage.
Changesets are the place to include lineage information, if you ask
me. (I'd deprecate the source= tag altogether, but that's a different
discussion)

Martijn

--
martijn van exel