[Talk-us] Discardable TIGER tags

Alan grunthos503 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 30 06:41:22 BST 2012

On Sun, 2012-07-29 at 16:21 -0500, Toby Murray wrote:
> tiger:tlid - there seems to be support for removing it although I do
> recall someone opposing it strongly in the past as Anthony mentioned.
> In theory it lets you link back to a specific TIGER object. In
> practice it seems minimally useful with way splitting/merging and a
> fairly high degree of certainty that an automated TIGER 2011+ reimport
> where this could actually be used is probably not going to happen

I think removing it is fine for any changed way, for the reasons
everyone else has mentioned.

I oppose removing it for ways that are unchanged (which I understand is
not the current proposal for JOSM; I'm just stating for the record).  I
still think it is valuable to leave ourselves any options for
synchronization in the future.  While an automated TIGER re-import isn't
likely to happen, the tlid could be useful in the mystical grand
conflation tools that people have proposed/discussed/drooled over.

- Alan