[Talk-us] NYC administrative boundaries and Nominatim

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Mon Jul 30 12:33:15 BST 2012

On 7/30/12 5:11 AM, Kevin Kenny wrote:
> On 07/29/2012 11:56 PM, Skye Book wrote:
>
>>> Do we have a source for NYC administrative boundaries?
>
> http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/html/bytes/districtsmetadata.shtml

there also should be boundaries in TIGER. most of the problems i've seen
with nominatim and boundaries have to do with half-assed boundaries
based on the USGS stuff. i've been gradually replacing boundaries
in the capital district with TIGER based boundaries which are much better.

i have no opinion on the boundaries in the nyc.gov site, it might be
worthwhile
to compare them with the boundaries from tiger. i can probably give you
.osm files based on the tiger boundaries if you want them for that purpose.
it'd be good to look at the spot where nyc boundaries end and match them
up with the tiger boundaries to see how good the fit is.

richard