[Talk-us] Discardable TIGER tags

Mike N niceman at att.net
Mon Jul 30 12:35:31 BST 2012

On 7/30/2012 7:18 AM, David ``Smith'' wrote:
> Wasn't someone working on importing address data from TIGER? I was under
> the impression that may have depended on tiger:tlid tags on objects
> already in OSM, but wasn't sure…

   TIGER address data isn't nearly accurate enough to import into OSM.
Addressing applications who want to use TIGER addressing for a rough
geo-location estimate could just use a local TIGER address database to
fall back on if OSM does not contain the address.

   I've often discussed importing updated road data from TIGER.  The
single case where TLID could be useful is matching un-named driveways to
existing data, then applying a geometric correction to the proper way.
  I've done little more than simple tests however, and nothing close to
being usable.   There are some ways so far off in the original TIGER
data that geo-matching would fail to locate the right way.