[Talk-us] administrative boundaries and Nominatim

Serge Wroclawski emacsen at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 20:16:40 BST 2012

On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 2:57 PM, Greg Troxel <gdt at ir.bbn.com> wrote:

> "Metcalf, Calvin (DOT)" <calvin.metcalf at state.ma.us> writes:
>
>> So basically if we see nodes like that, get rid of them?
>
> No, I think it's:
>
>   If there's a node for the place, it's progress to replace it with a
>   polygon.

Correct.

The answer is "If you see bad data, replace it with good data".

It's also useful to think of Nominatim as a data product, like a
rendering. Some things are due to bad rendering and some things are
due to bad data.

One of the things that's nice about Nominatim is that it gives you
that detail page where it explains how it derives its answers. That
gives you the opportunity to fix the data, and if it comes to it, send
useful feedback to the Nominatim developers.

I realize my email in the other thread could come off as complaining
about Nominatim- I'm not. I'm mostly complaining about the poor data
quality of New York City in OpenStreetMap in hopes that we'll be able
to address it.

- Serge