[Talk-us] Special issues in LA remap

Mike N niceman at att.net
Fri Jun 8 00:39:20 BST 2012

On 6/6/2012 4:12 AM, Toby Murray wrote:
> Without some object IDs it is hard to say exactly what blars did. If
> you have some specific examples, select them in JOSM and hit
> CTRL-SHIFT-I to open a browser window with a link you can send to the
> list. A lot of what I saw in LA looked like legitimate mapping to me.
> He was active before the TIGER import so there is a lot of his

   I picked an area at random near some of his edits:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33.97985&lon=-118.18848&zoom=17&layers=M

  Using way id 13292685 :
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/13292685 , I looked at the
edits.  In this case, some nodes were moved, presumably to align with
the aerial imagery.  I couldn't find any GPS tracks in the immediate
area to confirm the aerial alignment.   The node I looked at was moved
at least 10 meters.

   So, the redaction bot will not completely destroy those areas.  If no
one has touched the road alignment since his work, it will just revert
back to the original TIGER upload coordinates.  All that is required
after the redaction bot will be to nudge the nodes to the location where
they belong.

    A fast preemptive remap for nodes set for redaction-move would be to
just move the node to align with current Bing aerial.   Note that the
Bing aerial alignment might not be perfect - try to find some GPS tracks
in the area to see how close it is.  There should be some tracks on the
nearest interstate.