[Talk-us] Creating PDF maps

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Jun 28 07:22:30 BST 2012

Hi,

On 06/28/2012 04:39 AM, Clifford Snow wrote:
> Can someone point me to an easy to use resource to create a map in a pdf
> file?  For example, Discovery Park in Seattle is a great resource.  It
> has Puget Sound on the west side, great trails, hidden ponds, a cultural
> center, a veteran's cemetery, playgrounds, a some of the best views of
> the Olympic Mountains.  I'd like to produce a map that could be sent out
> showing what's offered.  I could just grab a screen shot, but Mapnik
> doesn't show all of the amenities.

You could check out the Maperitive software (for Windows, or Linux with
Mono) which allows you to save your map as SVG, and you can then make
good PDFs from that. Maperitive has its own styling language and comes
with a number of ready-made styles where you will probably have add
extra rules for the details you care about.

Other options: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_on_Paper

Bye
Frederik