[Talk-us] Creating PDF maps

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Fri Jun 29 01:16:36 BST 2012

On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 11:32 PM, Paul Norman <penorman at mac.com> wrote:

> You’re asking two separate questions, one is on creating a PDF map, the
> other is a style sheet that shows something other than what osm.xml (the
> standard style on osm.org) does.****
>
> ** **
>
> I wrote mapbook (https://github.com/pnorman/mapbook) which will create a
> PDF using Mapnik’s default AGG renderer. It works with any mapnik style
> file, although I find that osm.xml is not well suited to print. You can
> also render directly to a PDF as vectors with mapnik, but this is lower
> quality and larger than a high resolution bitmap.

I pulled mapbook.  This looks very promising.  A question about height and
width.  How do you determine those values?  And what are columns?  Right
now I can't run the code, I'm missing some packages, but that should be
easy enough to resolve.

> ****
>
> ** **
>
> I had a look at the area in JOSM and I can’t see much data that the
> osm.xml style doesn’t render. What amenities were you thinking of that
> aren’t rendering?

I don't see benches and guideposts (tag information=guidepost).  It may be
my lack of knowing where to look also. But when I look at OpenStreetMap
those amenities don't show up.

> ****
>
> ** **
>
> Incidentally, could someone verify if
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/159553109 exists? It shows on the
> high zoom imagery but not the lower zoom, and the lower zoom may be more
> recent.****
>
> **

You are right.  I walk right past there getting gps tracings for trails.
The building is gone.  Much of what was an old military base is being
converted in to natural habitat.   I suspect it was pulled down about the
same time that much of the housing was removed.

Thanks,
Clifford