[Talk-us] Adding Tiger 2011 Data

Josh Doe josh at joshdoe.com
Thu Mar 1 03:55:58 GMT 2012

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 10:47 PM, Josh Doe <josh at joshdoe.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 10:11 PM, Toby Murray <toby.murray at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I pulled up this area in JOSM:
>> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=32.31342&lon=-111.02699&zoom=15&layers=M
>>
>> Something definitely went wrong here that you need to figure out and fix.

> Additional issues include tags that should not be there, such as
> COUNTYFP, LINEARID, MTFCC, RTTYP, STATEFP. These don't add any useful
> information to OSM. Street suffix expansions can be done automatically
> as shown on my ogr2osm translation file for Fairfax County (though
> admittedly I don't do anything about North/South prefixes, though
> those are fairly rare in my county.
>
> Also

(GMail keyboard shortcuts sent this prematurely)

If you run the JOSM validation tool, then it catches the dupe nodes
and missing intersections. Always run validation before any upload,
and preferably run it over the entire downloaded set of data to ensure
you're connecting the new roads with existing roads (the validation
run before uploading only checks objects you've actually modified).

-Josh