[Talk-us] Fwd: Contacting non-responders with less than a month to go

Charlotte Wolter techlady at techlady.com
Wed Mar 7 15:45:57 GMT 2012

Toby,

         Thanks for your efforts. I'll try to contact some people
here in LA, where, apparently, there are big areas of unlicensed
work. Since I can't edit (thanks to the recent changes in Potlatch
2), I have some time on my hands.

Charlotte

>Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2012 23:09:15 -0600
>From: Toby Murray <toby.murray at gmail.com>
>To: talk-us <talk-us at openstreetmap.org>
>Subject: [Talk-us] Contacting non-responders with less than a month to go
>         <mailto:talk-us-request at openstreetmap.org?subject=subscribe>
>
>Well, this has been brought up before but with less than a month left
>to go before the license change I thought it was worth talking about
>again.
>
>Since December I have been steadily contacting mappers. I started out
>covering Kansas and have had great success here. Since mid February,
>myself and others have been working on contacting the non-responders
>with the most edits in our respective countries, with some
>coordination and help from Simon Poole.
>
>All told, I have attempted contact with about 90 people here in the
>US. So far I have managed to get through to just over half and every
>one of them has accepted the new terms.
>
>However... As great as that is, it's still barely a drop in the
>bucket. My overall 50% contact rate has required a non-trivial amount
>of effort involving google, twitter, facebook, linkedIn, youtube, etc
>as well as a few (sometimes slightly awkward) telephone conversations.
>"Hi, this is the Internet. I'm calling for your son." However I have
>found that a good 25-30% of people respond after nothing but a
>personal message through the OSM message system. Obviously this means
>that their registered email address is still valid and they see the
>notification email. This also means that they should have seen the
>messages from OSMF a couple of months ago but people are lazy,
>forgetful and have over-zealous spam filters.
>
>So everyone on this list, please take another look around your
>city/state using the available tools[1] and just start sending
>messages. You can easily spit out 10 messages in under an hour.
>
>I would suggest coming up with your own text that you feel comfortable
>with. It doesn't have to be fancy. We're just trying to get eyeballs
>on the target. I usually put something location specific in the
>subject line to try and get their attention and let them know this
>isn't an automatic email. Something like "Your map edits in <city>"
>seems to work.
>
>For the body I say that I noticed that they were active in OSM a
>couple of years ago and thank them for their contribution. Then I
>point out that since they haven't been active, they may not be aware
>of the upcoming license change which requires a response from all
>users and that we need their permission to carry their edits forward
>into the new license and ask them to log in to their account and
>review the new terms.
>
>That's all you need.
>
>And as a bonus, some of them might start mapping again! Fewer than I
>had hoped... but better than nothing.
>
>And finally, there are two non-responders here in the US that I
>haven't been able to find much on and was wondering if anyone else
> [...]

Charlotte Wolter
927 18th Street Suite A
Santa Monica, California
90403
+1-310-597-4040
techlady at techlady.com
Skype: thetechlady

The Four Internet Freedoms
Freedom to know all the terms of a service, particularly any that
would affect the first three freedoms.