[Talk-us] Route Relations and Special (Bannered) Routes

Phil! Gold phil_g at pobox.com
Mon Mar 12 01:37:14 GMT 2012

* Richard Welty <rwelty at averillpark.net> [2012-03-11 20:59 -0400]:
> On 3/11/12 11:16 AM, Phil! Gold wrote:
> >I'm partial to the idea of separating the banner from the reference
> >number, but I'm not sure how any of these ideas mesh with the
> >understandings of people with more experience with road networks than I
> >have.
>
> i like the idea of separating banners out too, but many current data
> consumers
> assume that they can just use the ref tag to label a route and be
> done with it.

I'm talking only about route relations, not the ways themselves.  For
route relations, we already split network and ref tags, so you already
can't just use the ref tag.  Also, there are few, if any, data consumers
using route relations (a situation I'm working on rectifying, which
prompted this email).

--- --
Top Ten Things Overheard At The ANSI C Draft Committee Meetings:
         (2) Thank you for your generous donation, Mr. Wirth.
         (1) Gee, I wish we hadn't backed down on 'noalias'.