[Talk-us] More TIGER importing

Josh Doe josh at joshdoe.com
Wed Mar 14 14:57:21 GMT 2012

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 8:53 AM, Mike N <niceman at att.net> wrote:
> [snip]
>
>  Just converting the TIGER shapefiles into OSM format is a challenge - I've
> uploaded a copy of Yuba county from 2011 -
>
> http://www.greenvilleopenmap.info/Yuba_CA.zip

Alexander,
I'd recommend you use this data for testing the process only, but not
uploading, as it has not been processed thoroughly yet. I personally
believe, and I think consensus is growing, that none of the tiger:*
tags should be imported (I delete all of them after working on a way).
Ref tags should be populated with the route number, such as "SR 20",
and oneway tags seem to be missing from dual carriageways. Also, the
segments need to be "glommed", that is joining multiple ways with the
same tags into one way, to make future editing easier.

In other words, please be careful, it is not a simple process.

The only thing I would add is that you should only do a very small
section, such as a new subdivision, then come back to this list and
let us know the changeset ID/link so we can take a look at it.

-Josh